The question is why Personal finance is important. But before you embark on the journey, it is important to know what finance actually is. Let us begin from the beginning. If you go by the dictionary, it is an all-inclusive phrase that wholly specifies the explicit activities connected with banking, credit, investments, debt or leverage and related components.
It reflects the whole matter of money management and the process of obtaining money as per the requirement. Nevertheless, finance comes with monetary learning and the study of credit, banking, equities, and liabilities that build the structure of finance altogether.
Why is personal finance important?
It is all about meeting your individual financial goals. Such goals might encompass anything from short-term financial requirements retirement plans, or saving up for your children’s education in the future.
Your personal finance strategy would depend on factors like spending, income, saving, and personal protection (such as estate planning and insurance).
Coming back to the point, why should you pay heed to it?
Let’s take the example of personal finance statistics in the USA. Recent surveys show that those Americans who have not been able to discipline themselves financially or have not been able to manage finances altogether land up with an enormous amount of debt.
In August 2022, household debt was enhanced by as much as $2 trillion compared to December 2019, just before the pandemic. Additionally, the balances of the following have gone up from the 1st quarter of 2022 to the next:
|Credit card||$46 billion|
|Auto loans||$33 billion|
|Store cards and consumer loans||$25 billion.|
With taking more debt than ever to manage finances, the management of personal assets has become trickier than ever. This is more because inflation is increasing the price of commodities and reducing purchase power.
What are the different areas of personal finances?
To learn personal finance basics, you need to know its different areas. These include:
- Income: As the starting point, it refers to the whole cash flow you get. So it can be anything from dividends, salaries, wages, and similar sources. You can allocate the same amount of savings, expenses, investment, as well as protection.
- Spending: Spending habits are key to personal finance. Overspending leads to debt and high-interest loans. Keep cash outflow under control.
- Savings: Saving is important for emergencies and larger expenses. Instead of just keeping money in a savings account, investing can yield positive benefits over time.
- Investment: Investing in assets like bonds and stocks can earn you returns, but it comes with risks and no guarantees. It’s important to study and form practical ideas, or seek the help of a professional.
- Protection: Investors utilize different techniques to protect themselves from unexpected incidents like accidents and sickness. The aim is to safeguard the wealth they have accumulated. This includes strategies such as retirement planning, health insurance, and life insurance.
What are the principles of personal finance?
To have more, you have to save more. This is possible through the following ways:
- Prioritisation: Examine your financial condition to determine what can guarantee a steady flow of money.
- Assessment: The key need for professionals that hinders them from spreading too much. However, seasoned professionals list different ways and ideas that cover their financial needs. Such ways could be anything from an investment at the right time or a side income.
- Restraint: Too much spending is not a welcome approach towards financial goal management. Restraint is, basically, a different way to manage a business successfully, utilising your personal finances.
What are the various types of personal finance?
The most common elements of personal finance include:
- Banking: This involves basic banking functionalities and refers to assistance in transactions.
- Investment: Proper investment is possible by considering the alternatives and choosing the most suitable way. While investing, you may need to accept certain risks. This involves investing in the stock market, real estate, fixed deposits, etc.
- Loans and Mortgages: This shows the services and assistance that allow people to obtain and leverage assets to meet their objectives. Examples include getting a home loan or any other loan.
- Counselling and Expert Advice: You can use it to analyse the right picture and get the real perspective to comprehend any situation. It can be your tool to navigate your way to investment.
Is there a way to gain maximum profit?
Now that you know the basics about what personal finance is, you might want to look for ways to enhance your earning. It can all begin with securing your money. It has never been safe to keep all your earnings at home.
You primarily keep your money secured in the bank, thus shielding your cash from burglary, fire or natural disasters like floods. Next is the question of convenience.
When keeping your money in a bank account, you can access it just from anywhere. You can withdraw the necessary amount from a debit card, ATM, bank branch, online, or debit card.
Also Read: What is equity share capital? [Explained]
Even if you don’t feel confident about investing your money in stocks, bonds, or any other new-age funding options, keeping your money in the bank under various schemes and funds guarantees a steady income.
While the options are many, you might use practical help from a professional to better manage your finances.
StockGro is India’s first and largest ‘Social Investment’ platform aimed at helping you master the art of “Trading & Investment”. Trade, Invest and get rewarded to Learn everything about ‘Investments’ the fun-filled way.